What is the NEMLEC Police Foundation
The NEMLEC Foundation is a charitable organization founded in 2005 to support the work of the North Eastern Massachusetts Law Enforcement Council (NEMLEC) which today has more than 60 member police departments and two county sheriffs in Middlesex and Essex Counties.
Surprisingly, Massachusetts ranks among the three worst states in the nation when it comes to funding for police training. That’s where we come in.
For the past 10 years, the NEMLEC Foundation has provided funding and direct programming to help municipal police departments serve their communities better. Our programming efforts include:
- The Foundation conducts an annual Criminal Investigation Training Course
- We have conducted a highly successful School Safety Summit with the Middlesex District Attorney’s Office
- We are hosting a Business Safety Summit this year
- Supervisor Training through Roger Williams University
- Comprehensive motorcycle training for the NEMLEC Motor Unit
- K9 Training
- STARS School Safety Team Training
- Advanced Tactical Training for SWAT and Rapid Rapid Response Team members
- We donate funds to Cops for Kids with Cancer, the Hits for Kids organization, and other charities
- We provide funding to NEMLEC to support its work and offset the costs of training, school safety programs, search and rescue, SWAT, professional standards programs, and much more
We are a small but dedicated organization that believes in using the vast majority of its funds for program services instead of fundraising or staffing costs. Our volunteer board of directors consists of police chiefs and business leaders from around the commonwealth. We do not use fundraising companies (so you’ll never get a call at dinnertime asking for money!) and we only have one part-time paid staff member.
Our primary fundraiser each year is the NEMLEC Police Foundation Golf Tournament. All expenses are offset by the paid entrance fees each year, and in 2014, the Foundation netted more than $35,000 for our program services and initiatives.
Mission of the Foundation
To promote and pursue training and education, independent research, studies, projects and programs.
To assist and improve NEMLEC police agencies.
To promote the public’s understanding of their police departments.
To receive gifts, contributions, and grants of money or property from individuals or private organizations, and to apply and disburse those gifts for the benefit of NEMLEC and its cities and towns.
The North Eastern Massachusetts Law Enforcement Council (NEMLEC) was established in 1963 and is a non-profit 501(c)(3) corporation.
NEMLEC counts 61 municipal police and sheriff agencies among its members. NEMLEC provides the highest quality of support and supplemental public safety services to its member communities through regional partnerships.
About the NEMLEC Police Foundation Inc.
The NEMLEC Police Foundation was established in 2005 as a separate non-profit corporation formed to raise funds to support NEMLEC activities. It is a recognized 501(c)(3) corporation.
We use our funds to provide specialized training to a pool of over 4,000 NEMLEC police officers and over 700 sheriff’s deputies located in Middlesex and Essex Counties. Our region covers 925 square miles and 1.7 million citizens.
We also provide training and equipment to the specialized units of NEMLEC, which include S.W.A.T (Special Weapons and Tactics), STARS (School Threat Assessment/Response System) and RRT (Regional Response Team).